A Behaviour Event Interview or BEI is a backward looking interview process, through which candidates are short-listed based on the desired competencies required by an organisation. It is a revolutionary HR technique, which many leading companies have begun following while selecting candidates for filling various vacant positions.
The Behaviour Event Interview technique differs from the traditional biographical job based interview, which focuses more on job descriptions and technical knowledge. In contrast, BEI is more flexible, and helps select candidates with the desired potential as per their competencies. During such interviews, a candidate is asked questions to get them to recount a specific example or event, related to a particular competency the HR managers may be looking for. Such questions usually begin with the phrases “Tell me about a time when you...." or "Can you provide me with an example of when you....".
A Behaviour Event Interview helps you locate high performers, and it is always useful to know who the star performers in your company are. StarEdits.com is a Corporate Communications company and HR consultancy, which is experienced in defining competencies and developing structured questionnaire formats, to help companies conduct BEIs in their organisation.
What we do:
- We assist you in conducting a job analysis of the various jobs and roles, within your organisation. Based on this job analysis, we determine the key competencies that an employee needs to have for him/her to be successful in a particular role.
- After an in-depth study of the various jobs, we will determine various threshold competencies based on the maximum job performance required from all employees in a particular competency. We will conduct interviews with senior managers to identify outstanding performers, who would be differentiated from average employees, based on exceptional characteristics and behaviours.
- We will create questionnaires to help guide your HR managers during the Behaviour Event Interview process.
A Behaviour Event Interview results in reduced recruitment costs, as it focuses on competencies. This means that only those people would be recruited, who already posses the required competencies, beforehand. Such individuals would be better learners, as they would be easier to train even when job descriptions change, due to changing technological and competitive environments.
How Will A Behaviour Event Interview Benefit Your Company?
Behaviour Event Interviews or BEIs, would bring your organisation several benefits, some of which include:
- Better job-person match: While job descriptions might change over time, competencies don’t change. Hence, there would be better job-person matches.
- Training employees for leadership positions: Since employees with the desired competencies have already been identified, they would require less training, once they are promoted.
- Decrease in turnover costs: When a candidate joins, the candidate would be informed about tasks to be performed and options for career development. This would result in fewer employees leaving your company in a given year.
- Assists in developing a competency-based performance system: We study your organisation’s performance systems, and help develop new strategies for competency-based performance management.
- It is reusable as it is modifiable: When employees are recruited on the basis of their competencies, HR executives can re-define competencies, whenever job descriptions change.
Get Professionally Written Behaviour Event Interview Questionnaires
Drafting a Behaviour Event Interview questionnaire can be a time consuming process, and is often outsourced to consultants who develop competency based models for companies. Outsourcing this task to a highly experienced corporate communications consultancy like StarEdits.com ensures an objective view of your organisational processes, and helps avoid discrimination. This expert validation and better analysis, is sure to improve the functioning of your organisation.
Whether you are a big company or a small firm, if you require professionally drafted Behaviour Event Interview Questionnaires, just email us at email@example.com or fill in our Contact Us form now!